6 TIPS TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Like it or not, medical experts say that the majority of us will be exposed to COVID-19 this year. Having an optimally functioning immune system, then, is essential for fighting this virus...and staying healthy and strong. Here are 6 tips for boosting your immune system.
1. Exercise daily, while maintaining appropriate social distance. Strive to get a muscle pump and breathe heavily for at least 30 minutes per day—it’s good for mind & body! A good goal to shoot for is 30 to 60 minutes of outdoor recreation per day (walking, running, hiking, etc.) and one hour of at-home strength training, bouldering, hangboarding, floor exercises and stretching.
2. Eat a nutritious diet. Consume fruits & vegetables rich in Vitamin C, magnesium, and zinc. Consider taking supplemental Vitamin D. Eat lean protein at every meal and consider using a low-calorie protein supplement. For muscle recovery and immune system strength consume 1.2 to 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. And drink lots of water!
3. Go outside for at least 1 hour per day. A daily dose of sunshine and fresh air is vital. Keeping proper social distance, go for a walk/run every day...and let your thoughts wander to a future beyond COVID-19. Set new goals!
4. Avoid overtraining. Too much intense exercise can weaken your immune system. (Listen to the podcast linked below for comprehensive instruction for at-home training during the "COVID-19 closedown".)
5. Get adequate sleep. Allow 8 to 10 hours of sleep per night.
6. Keep stress levels low. Stop dwelling on things beyond your control. Unplug from fearful media. Help the needy. Remain positive, hopeful, and purposeful.
Photo: PhysiVantage professional climber, Lisa Chulich. (Rich Crowder)
An often-used proverbial phrase, to encourage optimism and proactive action in the face of adversity or misfortune, is to "make lemonade out of lemons."
It's with this perspective that Eric Hörst presents a hopeful mindset and approach for persevering through the COVID-19 crisis.
In this podcast, Eric details five tips for effective home training for body and mind. Employing this guidance will lower your risk of illness and prepare your body for a quick return to high-performance climbing this summer!